Ah tacos. Few things make a house smell better than taco meat on the stove, am I right?! I know I'm right. What makes them even better?! When you can feast on them knowing that they are actually doing your body GOOD! This version of taco meat is full of veggies and free of chemicals! (I didn't get the turkey meat I normally do and am not positive Jennie-O is actually "clean" oops) If I had known my whole life how easy it was to make taco seasoning, I would've given up buying those little packs at the store a long time ago! That change alone saves your body form large amounts of sodium. I made this recipe for the seasoning then only used half as they suggest.
I got the taco meat recipe here and doubled it so Matthew and I could make it last for a few days worth of leftovers. I don't suggest doing that unless you have some really LARGE skillets. I thought my skillet was large enough, but I ended up having to use one for meat and a separate one for veggies. That's not a problem until it comes time to clean up! It was worth it in the end though. I love to eat anything where I can mask the taste of spinach with the taste of taco!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 large Bell Peppers
- 1 can Rotel
- 2 or 3 tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 3 cups Greens (spinach or kale)
- Brown the meat in a large pan then drain the excess fat off.
- Add onions and peppers then cook until soft.
- Stir in Rotel and spinach.
- Now add taco seasoning. You may want to add a tbsp of water to saturate everything.
- Keep cooking until fully saturated.
- Serve over rice or greens, or load into tortillas for traditional tacos!
- Makes 4 servings (unless you double the recipe as we did, then it's obviously 8).