Want to have a fiesta that stands out from the others?! Serve pork carnitas instead of tacos! We LOVE this meal. The pork is simple to make and you can add on whatever toppings you like. I included the recipe for homemade pico de gallo on this post because the carnitas really are better with fresh toppings!
I always make Matthew's favorite corn tortillas to go with the carnitas.
You can get that recipe here.
- 3 lbs Pork Loin
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Combine all spices except the bay leaf.
- Give your pork a good rub down in the spices. Make sure to apply the spice rub to both sides of the meat.
- Place pork into crock-pot with bay leaf and add water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Make sure the water doesn't entirely evaporate or the meat will dry out. Add small amounts of water if necessary.
- Remove bay leaf and shred meat with an hour left to cook.
- Serve on top of tortillas and add toppings!
Pico de Gallo
- 5 Roma Tomatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 or 2 Jalapenos (you pick how hot you want it to be)
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/2 Lime
- Dice the cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos, and onion then toss together in a large bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice over your veggies.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or chill.