I've been on a mission this summer to find more tasty "at home" Asian meals and so far it's been a success! The title of this dish describes it perfectly: sweet, thanks to the pineapple, with a kick of fire thanks to the red pepper flakes! We had it over Jasmine Rice and enjoyed every bite. Thanks to the original chef for helping us indulge our love of Asian food without having to order takeout!
I was putting all this in the crockpot before work at 6:30am, so I didn't snap any pictures of the process, but I did get so yummy looking ones before Matthew made it his dinner!
- 2lbs Chicken Breast
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 cans Pineapple Chunks
- 4 tsps Minced Garlic
- 3 tsps Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 cup Sugar (the original recipe called for more, but I'm just not into adding sugar to dinner. I reluctantly added the 1/3 cup and will try it without next time)
- 4 tbsps Sweet Red Chili Sauce (Got an organic bottle at Food City for cheaper than the non-organic)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsps cold water + 3 tbsp Corn Starch
- Chop your red bell pepper and mince your garlic then set aside.
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized chunks then add to the crockpot.
- Drain juice from pineapple cans into a separate bowl. You will use this to make the sauce later on.
- Add chicken, red bell pepper, and pineapple to the crockpot.
- Now, add garlic, pepper flakes, salt, sugar, and sweet chili pepper sauce to the pineapple juice and mix well.
- Pour sauce over chicken in the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before the chicken is done, mix the 4 tbsp's water with the cornstarch this mix into the crockpot.
- Stir well before serving.